Sunday, November 13, 2011

Twitter to Tales says Steve Martin

This week, Reuters reports on Comedian, Actor and Best-Selling Author, Steve Martin As it turns out, Steve Martin is planning on coming out with another best seller; only this time, its all about Twitter Steve stated, "[d]ue to absolutely no demand, soon I'm publishing a book of my tweets. Many of your replies included! All my profits to charity."  Grand Central Publishing reported that the book will be called "The Ten, Make That Nine Habits, of Very Organized People. Make That Ten," and will be a collection of Martin's tweets, as well as, responses from followers.  The book is due for release in Summer 2012.  

This story has created much buzz not because the actor is publishing another book, but because he is basing the book entirely on social media! Interestingly enough, it is an excellent marketing plan as for Martin intends to use some of his followers' replies.  Steve Martin has over 1.7 million fans following him, including myself.  I have no doubt that this book will be another best seller.   I also find it interesting that he is taking this concept of social networking and giving it life.  We tend to view social media as some kind of impersonal means of communication, but it really can be quite personal.  

Thanks to social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook, we can view pictures, read other's comments and thoughts; we are able to see their moods shift and even learn about their lifestyle, etc.  Interestingly enough, we make friends with strangers or speak to people we would have never imagined and have a "relationship" of some kind no matter how small it may seem.  Due to the shared interests or shared friends we tend to have on these social media channels, we also tend to be influenced in various ways, such as where we shop, where we dine, what movies to see, how to vote, etc.  All of these things can be influenced and used as a tool through the use of social media.  

Steve Martin takes credit as an Actor, Musician, Comedian, and Author, but he needs to add Marketing Guru to his resume as well.  Earlier this month, he tweeted, "Jack Black, Owen Wilson and I did the Ellen show today. Remind me, is that the movie? Or did we shoot a movie?"  

Here is a clip of the interview mentioned promoting his next movie:




I am definitely looking forward to reading Steve Martin's book to see what he has to say about the concept of social media.  I am certain that it will be enlightening, humorous, and witty.  Although I have yet to read one of his books, I already feel I know his style for I do read his tweets.

No comments:

Post a Comment